If you find yourself in an unfortunate mold situation in your home, you are looking for ways to prevent decay from growing in the first place and ensure that it doesn’t come back. Thankfully, there are several techniques you can use to get rid of it, including cleaning it up with bleach and using UV light.
If you have noticed signs of mildew in your home, controlling dampness is the key to getting rid of the mold. Molds that grow indoors produce potentially harmful substances and can irritate the eyes, throat, and sinuses of anyone who inhales them.
Remedics are also essential for keeping your home comfortable. A house that is too humid will require more energy to heat. The same goes for any area where excess moisture is present.
You can reduce the moisture in the air by installing a dehumidifier or an exhaust fan. You can also use a hygrometer to measure the humidity in your home.
While these measures can help you control the moisture in your home, they won’t eliminate the mold problem. Once a mold problem is detected, it’s necessary to act quickly to stop the spread.
Moisture problems are often caused by a leaky pipe or plumbing system. They can also occur due to flooding. Your best defense is to ensure proper drainage of your basement or crawlspace.
Using UV light
UV lights have many valuable applications. For example, they can purify water, disinfect materials, and kill off mold spores in the air.
Although they may not work for everyone, they can be helpful for some people with allergies and other health issues. This is especially true if you have a humid climate where mold spores are more likely to thrive.
The effectiveness of UV light is a matter of its wavelength, intensity, and location. The amount of time you have to use it should also be considered. For instance, you may need to put it on every night if you live in a mold-prone area.
A well-trained operator can minimize exposure to UV light. Many options are available on the market, from cheap UV bulbs to more sophisticated devices. You will want to choose one with a variety of warning lights.
UV lights are particularly useful in humid regions. They will prevent the spread of mold spores to other areas where they can cause harm.
Cleaning mold with bleach
Bleach is a chemical that is often used to clean mold. While it may be effective, it can also be harmful. There are many health hazards associated with using bleach, so it’s essential to wear protective gear whenever you are using it.
The first thing you want to do is to determine the type of mold you are dealing with. You can wipe it away with a cloth if it’s a surface-level mold. But if it’s a deep-set mold, you must take extra precautions.
The most common disinfectant is bleach, available in various household cleaning products. Bleach works well on hard, non-porous surfaces but does not penetrate deeper into porous materials.
Another alternative is hydrogen peroxide, which is inexpensive and can be found at most pharmacies. It’s not as effective as bleach, but it’s an excellent way to kill mold and eliminate lingering odors.
Preventing mold from re-growing
Keeping your home mold free is essential if you want to avoid serious health problems. Mold can be especially harmful to people with respiratory and allergy issues. There are several things you can do to keep your home mold-free.
The first step in preventing mold from re-growing is preventing moisture from entering your home. This can be done by opening the windows and keeping your house thermostat at a regular temperature.
Also, a leaky roof or plumbing can cause mold growth. Make sure you fix these problems as soon as you notice them. You will not only avoid a mold outbreak but also save money.